July 25, 2009

Sin City (2005) - IMDB #98

Sin City//2005//124 Min.//B&W//Action





This movie flat out surprised me. I was expecting a 'comic book' film and that's exactly what I got. Yet, this was no ordinary run of the mill, let's find a comic book, make it into a movie and collect all the fanboys money type of film. I quite literally mean this was a comic book film. The entire movie completely was filmed as if you were reading a comic book. The movie was visually stunning. Probably one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen in a long time.

Now, not only was this films genetic make up different from about any other film out on the market, it had so much more. What so much more do I speak of? Violence. The film was flat out gruesome. I can't count the times that I let out a groan of pleasure while on screen countless body parts were chopped off and strewn about. Early on the thing just reeks of unabashed torture, decapitation, blood, you name it.

Speaking of groans of pleasure, this film also had another thing that piqued my interest early on. I'm not talking about puppy dogs here folks, I'm talking about nudity. The good kind. The nudity in this film was also extreme, but not over the top. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'stunning visuals.'

The over the top violence and nudity, don't make this film, they supplement it. Again, the entire look and feel of the film was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Actually something that I thought could never be translated to film. Maybe it was my mistake for having such low expectations going into this film, but this movie blew every such expectation out of the water. This was one that I extremely enjoyed, and one that I highly recommend!

9/10 (IMDB has it rated 8.4/10)

-Shaun


No comments:

Post a Comment