July 22, 2009

High Noon (1952) - IMDB #120


High Noon//1952//85 Min.//B&W



What a misleading poster...no hands going up, and no excitement!


High Noon. I've always heard about High Noon because every Western has one way or another been compared to the emotion and climax of the great American 1950's classic.

Color me unimpressed.

Maybe it was the hype around the ending. You know, when someone builds something up to be so great that it can't possibly live down the expectations (yes, I'm looking at you, Seinfeld finale)? I got done with the movie and I was...indifferent.

I did care about Gary Cooper's character Will, but that was the limit of my emotional connection to this movie. Maybe it was the fact that everyone else in the town was a bunch of vaginas and cowards. Maybe that's the way the movie was meant to feel.

I didn't hate High Noon, it just didn't live up to the expectations the back of the DVD had set for me. And as controversial as the special features claimed it was at the times, obviously times change, because I couldn't see anything controversial at all about it.

5/10 (IMDB has it rated 8.3/10) I cannot recommend this to anyone but Western purists and the biggest Gary Cooper fans.

- Kleeberg


Up Next: Hotel Rwanda, Seven Samurai, & Doctor Strangelove

No comments:

Post a Comment