July 25, 2009

The Graduate (1967) - IMDB #157

The Graduate//1967//105 Min.//Color//Drama

Ms. Robinson...you're trying to seduce me, you ugly broad!


I warn you this...I may piss off a lot of 'film elitists' with this review.

For me, The Graduate lands in exclusive company. I put it up there with The Sweetest Thing, The Happening, A Guy Thing, and any Joel Schumaker movie besides The Lost Boys. I put it with the worst movies that I have ever seen.

Never before have I met an on screen character that annoyed me and aggravated me like Dustin Hoffman's Ben. He's like Napoleon Dynamite without the comedy. He's like an early, unfunny version of Michael Cera. And here's a comment that will gain some groans - I think if they made a remake with Michael Cera, it might actually be watchable. He goes from a lazy, mopey whiner to an unlikable co-dependent, no personality punk to a creepy fucking stalker. He must have graduated with a major in being a douchebag and a minor in being a lazy douchebag. The girl isn't much better. One date (one date that didn't go well at all) and all of a sudden they're in love! How very believable.

"Hey, I fucked your mom."
"That's okay. I might marry you. Maybe."

By the end of the movie, I was rooting against Ben more than I've ever rooted against a character before, although I knew that being an old movie, it would end up with 'the good guy' winning.

I wouldn't ever watch this movie again. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. I wish I didn't waste an hour and a half of my life on it, and I only did so because I had to because of this IMDB 250 goal. I have no idea how this movie 'launched Dustin Hoffman's career'. I really don't. His range in this movie was from wooden board to a piece of shit sitting in a dirty park toilet.

There are two redeeming qualities of this movie. One, Dustin Hoffman's Alfa Romero, and Simon & Garfunkel's soundtrack (although I could have done without hearing the song about spices over and over and over and over and over and over and over and o...)

0/10 (IMBD has it rated 8.2/10)

Fuck this movie.

- Kleeberg

Up next: Hotel Rwanda.

9 comments:

  1. Nominated for seven Oscars (one win), won five Golden Globe awards, its on the IMDB top 250 and rated the seventh best movie of *all time* by the American Film Institute.

    With that, I'll have to take your review with more than a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to take this review with an entire spice rack.

    I feel sorry for who wrote this review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Graduate is not a rom-com, it's a statement on youth and society in a particular era, one of the most brilliant movies of all time. As a rom-com it sucks! It's satire. I mean, do you know who Buck Henry is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really sad how much you don't understand this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it even possible to hate this film? It is easily one of the best films ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I have a certain respect for this kind of honesty but this is not a 0/10 film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely agree with the review ... fucking terrible waste of time movie... satires have better plots... screwing an old worn out hag; tha'ts the best satire they cud think off... Grammy guys were cunts to nominate this piece of shit.... go watch Hombre of 1967, instead ...

    ReplyDelete