July 22, 2009

Raging Bull (1980) - IMDB #72


Raging Bull//1980//129 Min.//B&W//Drama





It's surprising to me that Raging Bull had slipped through the cracks for me throughout the years, because I love Martin Scorsese movies. Maybe it was that it was shot in black and white. Whatever the reason, the wait wasn't warranted.

This is a hard movie to rate. It's a great character study of an American asshole. A man filled with jealousy, rage, and anger. The main players do a great job with the characters - the acting is top notch - this is probably DeNiro and Pesci's best performances of all time. They take us along a jagged ride from the middle to the bottom...never quite reaching the top. I guess I'll put it this way...Raging Bull is a great movie that I wouldn't have a problem never watching again.

It's hard to recommend this movie if not just for the acting. It's not an uplifting movie by any means and the fact that it is black and white, like it or not, might turn some off.

I'll give it to Scorsese though, the last fight scene that pits LaMotta against Robinson is one of the most brutal scenes I've seen on film.

7/10 (IMDB has it rated 8.4)

- Kleeberg

No comments:

Post a Comment