July 25, 2009

Hotel Rwanda (2004) - IMDB #104

Hotel Rwanda//2004//121 Min.//Color//Drama


This was by no stretch of the imagination a bad movie. Though if I had to write in one word how I felt about this film it would be 'indifferent'.

I really do love dramas. I don't hide the fact that they are my favorite genre of movie. The story of this drama was a good one. One that I think definitely needed to be told. It shows what people can do to each other in the name of an ideology.

The feeling though that I got from this movie, was that although the story was an effective one, the only reason that it made it into the top 250 was the fact that the events of the movie are so important to so many people. The fact that this was a true story tugs at the heart a bit more. But alas, in the end, when I consider a movie to be top 250, I take in more to account than just the subject matter.

The acting was great. Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors. The guy is great to watch and has extreme talent. The other cast of characters were also very believable and I think this movie nailed them. It's just that with the good story, and the good acting, something just didn't completely win me over with this movie. There was nothing special as to the cinematography, and I'd say the direction of the film was average. To me, a film that makes it into the top 250 of all time must have much more than just a great story and great acting, it must be complete. I cant put my finger on it but this movie was missing something. That missing something does not make this a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, it makes it a film that is not worthy of the top 250.

Overall though, I would recommend this movie to people like me who have that soft spot in their hearts for dramas. Although this is not a particularly uplifting film, it's not one that you're going to hate.

6/10 (IMDB ranks it 8.3/10)

-Shaun





No comments:

Post a Comment