August 11, 2009

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - IMDB #94




Pan's Labyrinth//2006//120 Min.//Color//Fantasy


When I originally watched Pan's Labyrinth (this was my second watch), I had heard it was good, but that's about all I had heard. I thought that it was a kid's adventure film, because of the cover and title. I didn't know that it was subtitled (which didn't make a difference). I still thought it was a kid's adventure film until the moment that a guy gets his face bloodily smashed in by a general.

Fantastic movie. The special effects in this film are spectacular. Guillermo Del Toro is one of the premier special effects directors in the business right now. The costume design, the characters, they're all outstanding and should not be missed.

If you haven't seen this movie, do so. It's a great fantasy adventure for adults. It's touching, it's freaky, it's everything that it should be. Recommended.

9/10 (IMDB has it rated as an 8.5)

2 comments:

  1. Historically inaccurate, predictable story about girl with brain damage. Nothing interesting for adults here. Too voilent for kids. Probably only for Del Toro fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really no accounting for taste. Easily one of the greatest films ever made. Also, who cares if the film is too violent for kids? It's not a kids movie so there's no point in bringing that up at all.

      Delete